Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Tuesday, July 25 - Travel Day




 Since we are having problems loading photos to this blog, you are welcome to view our folder of shared photos.  Enjoy!


Today was the first day of our trip to the Dominican Republic. We all met up at Washington Dulles at 5:30 in the morning, so we had plenty of time to get through the airport. Once we got to our gate, we all went off to have breakfast (I had fruit and yogurt). We all boarded the plane without a problem and settled in for the 3 hour flight to Punta Cana. The view out the window was amazing! At some points the ocean water was so clear you could see the bottom! We landed without a problem as well, thought it was a little bumpy.

When we got off the plane we noted that it was very warm, but had a nice breeze. The Punta Cana airport was very unique; it was mostly open-air and the roof was covered in palm leaves. We dropped some of our supplies for the day camps at the sustainability center and then headed on to our hotel. The hotel, called the Westin, is very nice. It has a huge pool, and we are right by the ocean. The first thing we all did was get in the ocean, then we played Marco Polo in the pool. For dinner we had chicken, French fries, and, of course, Caesar salad. It was all very delicious. We all ended the evening with a meeting where we told how our day was. We also discussed what we are going to do tomorrow.

 -Cash Chambers, Highland Co.


Today was my first international flight and I was definitely a bit nervous. This was also such a new experience for me and I didn’t know more than a few people on the trip. I am excited for the new bonds and friendships I will make. Saying goodbye to my momma was definitely hard but she was super excited for me. Meeting others was so effortless and everyone was so kind and helpful especially in the confusing and chaotic airport. I am thankful for having a safe flight to this amazing opportunity in this beautiful country and I am so excited for this year ahead. 


-Sophia Gallivan, Accomack Co.


When I arrived at the airport the beginning was a lot more than I had expected because it was the first time going on an airplane in several years. However as soon as we filled out the Embarkation form we all started talking really quickly which made the rest of the travel experience fun. My favorite part about the day was all of the things we were able to do within just the first few hours of being in Punta Cana. We all hung out in the oceans, swam in the pool, celebrated Bre’s birthday and had a chance to start interacting with the Dominicans. What I am most looking forward to the rest of the week is making more great memories and doing the day camp with the Dominican teens.--

Deborah Olorunda, Loudoun Co.


This is my first time leaving the country without being with my parents and, to be honest, I was very anxious about the experience. But, after the first day I definitely feel very at home and comfortable with the team. We met early at the airport and immediately were met with challenges that we quickly faced together as a team. When we got to the resort after the flight we were able to mingle with each other by the beach and at the pool. I had a blast getting to know everybody. The day was challenging and I was anxious, but getting to bond with these wonderful people made me excited for the week ahead!

 

-Addy Sokolowski, Albemarle Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday - Travel Day

Today we flew back home, it was a sad but happy day. We said bye to everyone that we became friends with down in the Dominican Republic and ...